Executive Leadership Program in Monitoring and Evaluation for Public Institutions and Agencies
The profession and practice of monitoring and evaluation are still evolving. Experiences and innovations in the Africa, including those based on indigenous contexts, cultures and ways of knowing and doing, offer significant potential to enhance monitoring and evaluation theory and practice. Monitoring and Evaluation is a relatively new field that has emerged from a diverse array of applied social sciences. Although it is practice-oriented, there has been a proliferation of programs in monitoring and evaluation that just prescribe to theory than actual practice. The Executive leadership program in Monitoring and Evaluation for Public Institutions and Agencies is being designed to bridge the gap between theory and practices. It is being led by a team of professional who combines years of extensive practical experience in monitoring and evaluation for development in international institutions as well as Africa-based organizations. They are roots in practical experience gained in many very different parts of the world, yet are fully aware of all the theories and practices that have shaped evaluation as profession.
- Program Goals : To advance evaluation theory and practice in support of sustained and resilient development in countries and regions in the Africa and the Global South
- Program Purpose : To address gaps in the evaluative capabilities and knowledge of Public executives, Public M&E professional and non-professionals and policy makers in the Africa and other Global South countries in the use of monitoring and evaluation evidence for decision making and development actions.
- To bridge the gap between Monitoring and Evaluation theory and practices in Africa and other global south countries
- To understand the basic concepts and practical approaches for performance monitoring and evaluation in Public Institutions and Agencies.
- To learn state-of-the-art, tools and techniques used specifically to monitor and evaluate development programs in Public Institutions and Agencies in Africa.
- To gain hands-on experience in designing monitoring and evaluation plans for Public Institutions and Agencies
- To learn how to commission evaluation and effectively use monitoring and evaluation findings for sound management decision making, accountability and learning in Africa context and culture
- Develop monitoring and evaluation plan and agendas to support organization and institutional strategic priority plans.
The program offers an intensive training that will cover the fundamental concepts and tools for monitoring and evaluating Public Institutions and Agencies development programs. The course will include all elements that are need to design, build, and implement effective monitoring and evaluation plan for organization and institutions in Africa.
This course will be run in a workshop-style using classroom lectures and executive learning methodologies. Group work and individual project development will be worked on during the three weeks. Workshops provide a space for participants to learn from each other by sharing knowledge and experiences and also for each individual to develop an action plan for the institutionalization of monitoring and evaluation plan for their organization and institutions with follow-up coaching provided on an individualized basis
Participants should have a good understanding and appreciation for monitoring and evaluation and is in a position to use the concepts and principles of monitoring and evaluation to assess outcomes and impacts of public and private investment, Capture the progress, success, and failures of interventions, program and policy, Inform management decisions, strategic planning and risk management, provide accountability to development stakeholders, and contribute to broader knowledge and learning in the field of sustainable development.
To achieve these outcomes full participation is required. There will be no passive learning. Participants will get opportunities to share their experiences and best practices regarding designing monitoring and evaluations plans and also individual coaching and mentoring in developing action plan for their organizations.
The course is aimed at : Public and Government level Directors and Managers, M&E Professional and non-Professionals, Policy Makers in the Africa and other Global South countries, Evaluation Consultants/practitioners, Evaluation Steering Committee members, and those commissioning evaluations.